Tuesday, July 19, 2011

PRIDE and Prejudice

Being around mostly people with views similar to my own can play tricks on a person's mind at times.  You start to forget how many differing views and ideas are really out there.  One of my most passionate causes is human rights.  With everything this country has accomplished such as ending slavery, women's suffrage and the civil rights movement, we still have a long way to go with treating homosexual people with the respect we expect for ourselves. 

With the addition of New York, there are now seven states in the US where same sex marriage is legal.  But there are still 43 left! The Trevor project has brought light to the fact that young gay teens are committing suicide at an alarming rate, mostly due to bullying by there peers.  When I saw a news story citing how Gay History may be required in California public school's curriculum, I took to my facebook page to express my excitement.  Now, I wasn't intending to ruffle any feathers, but nonetheless received a barrage of disheartening comments about how gay history is stupid or a waste of taxpayer's dollars.  Well... when it comes to social media, I try to keep to the old adage "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".  I don't agree with other things people post, but just pass by it, or sometimes remove them from my friends list. 

I could handle asinine comments from people I barely know or haven't spoken to since high school, but when my own mother proceeded to exclaim from the mountain tops how "being gay is a choice" and gay history is in no way necessary for teaching readin', writin' and arithmetic...and then continued to attack a gay friend of mine whom she had never met...I was beyond mortified.  This was a person who birthed, raised, and made so many sacrifices so I could have everything I needed.  How could she possibly believe this?  What cult Kool-Aid was she drinking?  This hurt me to the core, and for the first time I really felt a fraction of the betrayal gay people feel from their loved ones who don't accept their lifestyle. 

I'm not gay, so I can't claim to know what it's like.  How it feels to question your own sexuality.  Wondering if your friends, family, and society will accept you.  And gaining the courage to come out and be true to yourself.  I can never really know how it feels or what it's like, but I know I support every GLBT person I have ever meet, and hope to meet in the future.   I feel the same conviction to fight for their rights to be valued members of society, much like the Caucasian freedom riders in the 60's were fighting for the rights of their African-American friends.  I believe in this because it's the right thing to do, and a step forward as human beings. 

I'm not sure how to battle the hate and intolerance.  We can't change everyones minds overnight.  Their convictions against homosexuality are as strong as ours are for equality.  We're all entitled to free speech, even if its negative and hurtful.  I do, however, know the answer is not more hate speech.  Just keep spreading the message of love and acceptance, and practicing what we preach.  Lead by example, and don't hide your passion for peace. 

It Gets Better :)   

Does anyone else have tactics for dealing with homophobes? 

No comments: